Blog #11 Final Reflection
My project questioned what it would be like to live on a
boat. I had goals of learning how to sail and also gain comfortability and familiarity with living at sea. I had an amazing mentor who was really excited
to teach Amelia and me. Vince was very engaged with us for the entire trip and
I was able to learn so much from him about sailing itself, sea life, and the
different islands that we visited throughout the Bahamas. While in the Bahamas
I felt very engaged when I needed to be learning or focusing. We had a great
balance of experiential learning and freedom to discover and explore this new
lifestyle. Specifically, I learned a lot about how to sail a boat. Before the
project, I wasn’t sure I even knew what a boom was. Through working with Vince I
learned the names of parts on the boat, what their job is, and how to use them.
I learned how to set up and take down sails, and when you should use each
different type of sail. We learned about navigation and how routes are created
to optimize winds and currents. We learned about conservation through water,
waste, and power usage. Something I didn’t expect to learn about was the
history and culture of The Bahamas. We visited New Plymouth, which was settled
mostly by the British Loyalists that were known for helping people who washed
up on their shore, but not without taking all of their belongings first. We
also learned about the origination of the pigs on No Name Cay. It is highly
suspected that pirates put pigs on the island to act as a meat checkpoint so
that they would not have to preserve all of their meat.
My advice to rising juniors would be to start thinking and
researching way earlier than you think you need to. This will give you a chance
to hit some dead ends without having to do a project that you don’t love. Also,
try to think outside of the box and don’t be afraid to do something outside of
your comfort zone. Think about a dream opportunity you have and try to figure
out a way to make that happen, or something connecting to it.

Comments
Post a Comment